A Boxer-Mastiff mix named Tank helped save his owners when he woke them up in the early morning hours. It turns out Tank alerted his owners because a fire had broken out elsewhere in the house. Tank was adopted just days before he was scheduled for euthanization. Read more from wsoctv.com:
“It was Sunday morning, early, and he was going crazy,” Ewing said.
It woke Ewing up and forced him out of bed. He thought Tank wanted to go outside. But instead of running to the back door…
“He came down and stopped right here and looked at the door,” Ewing said.
Smoke and water were pouring from the laundry room, which has the furnace, water heater and washer and dryer. Ewing said heat from the flames burst the pipes.
When fire crews arrived, Ewing said they told him a few more minutes and the smoke would have spread.
“The firefighters said, ‘Five minutes and we would have been waking you up, pulling you out of the house,’” he said.
While Tank is being called the hero now, it was just a few months ago that he was rescued himself. Ewing and his wife adopted him from a shelter.
“Five months ago I rescued a puppy and today, he rescued us,” Ewing said.